Saturday, March 19, 2011

A Mug of Tea and Some Advice


This morning is a chilly one in lovely South Dakota. I've lived here for several months now but there is still something so novel about life here. It's so charmingly quirky and beautiful. Because it's a particularly shivery (almost!) spring morning, I decided a cup of pomegranate green tea would be an appropriate start. I don't know what it is about tea that makes me feel a bit... thoughtful. But I'm feeling like hammering out a little bit of a blog so here goes.

A good portion of the time I'm thinking about, therefore talking about, weight loss. And throughout my journey, several things have occurred to me. The latest epiphany of sorts is applicable to absolutely everyone regardless of what you've experienced in life.
You must appreciate yourself.
There are so many struggles the world presents to us in our lives that the last place our worries should focus is on our disrespect, even hatred, for ourselves. I know for me, self respect has been something I have completely lacked from the start and it's something I have to force myself to do on a daily basis. It's much harder than it sounds. When you've spent so much time despising yourself, it gets tricky trying to convince your mind to see things in a different way. When so much energy is spend on wishing you were someone else, somewhere else, it's difficult to begin to truly see what amazing gifts you have been given. Here is my advice both to myself and to you, whoever you may be.
Let it go.
Stop talking to yourself the way you'd talk to an enemy. (Though, to be honest, the things I've said to myself I'd never say to someone else, the words are that cruel.) You are the one person that has no choice but to step up to the plate for yourself. It makes almost zero sense to allow yourself to continue a rampant hatred of the person you are because you have no choice. There is no negotiating with nature. You can change the outside, sure, but it takes a lot of work to change the way you feel about yourself. The quirks we all have are ours to hold on to. The things we seem to deplore so much about ourselves are virtually the only things we will ever have that absolutely no one else can take from us. Whether you see yourself as too sensitive or not sensitive enough, too weak, too headstrong, if you think you have a weird laugh or a strange taste in music or films or any of the things we all see in ourselves as negative, know that these are the things that make you you. These are the little things that make people fall in love with you, the things that make our world so unique and beautiful. Do yourself a favor and appreciate that you are alive. Appreciate that you are unique, that you aren't just a carbon copy of flesh and bone produced on a factory line. There are so many people in your world that appreciate it too. At the end of the day, as hippy dippy as it may sound, you really just have to
Love yourself.


The chilly Saturday morning record:
"It Ain't Me Babe" --Bob Dylan (on repeat)

No comments:

Post a Comment